Custom Foot Orthotics
Foot orthotics are a great option when it comes to the treatment of a variety of different foot conditions. They are non-invasive, which many people appreciate. There are different kinds and they can range from inexpensive to more costly, but you should be able to find something within your budget that helps relieve your foot pain.
What Is An Orthotic?
An orthotic device is worn inside your shoes. Its purpose is to fix problems with your feet. It does this either by holding your foot in a fixed position to control range of motion or by adding extra protective cushioning and support between your feet and your shoes. The goal of using one of these devices is twofold: to correct the underlying problem and to get rid of any pain or discomfort you might be feeling. Most shoes are able to accommodate an orthotic, but not all. Whether custom-made or over-the-counter, make sure they will fit inside the shoes you wear on a regular basis.
Custom Foot Orthotics
A custom-made orthotic is a prescription insert made for your unique feet and your specific condition, and it cannot be purchased in a store. It is definitely more of an investment (although sometimes your insurance will help with the cost).
There are two main categories:
- Functional – These are meant to control the range of motion by holding the foot in place. They are used to treat such things as tendinitis or shin splints.
- Accommodative – they provide extra cushioning and support and can be useful in treating calluses or diabetic foot ulcers.
Everyone is unique. Therefore, the biomechanics of your feet will also vary from person to person. They might even vary from foot to foot on the same body. We start with a digital orthotic scan that maps your particular foot structure, and then we design the device based on what we find. Anyone can benefit from orthoses: young children, athletes, elderly patients, and people with other medical conditions such as diabetes. If you need help correcting a foot problem, a custom-made orthotic is worth investigating.
Over-the-Counter Medical Grade Inserts
If going custom-made is simply out of your reach right now, there are other options. premade inserts can sometimes be helpful if you know what you are looking for. There are several different types:
- Arch supports – for people with either high arches or flat feet. They offer support for the arches and ease discomfort.
- Insoles – they offer support on the inside of your shoe. They are typically made out of soft material such as gel or foam.
- Heel liners – often used in patients with thinner skin or fat pads, they provide extra cushioning in the heel area.
- Foot cushions – used to protect your feet from rubbing against your shoes. They are good for the treatment of calluses or blisters.
Keep in mind that not all inserts will fit all people or shoes. We offer several products right in our office that may work well for your feet. If you purchase them elsewhere, try them on in the store if possible, to make sure the fit is comfortable with the shoes you wear on a daily basis.
When to Call a Doctor
If you are suffering from foot pain call Dr. John Hollander today at Santa Rosa Office Phone Number 707-578-1222 to schedule an appointment in our Santa Rosa, CA office. With expert diagnoses and friendly, caring staff, we can help you make the right decision for the health of your feet.
Custom foot orthotics may be the answer. We want what is best for your feet AND your budget, so don’t hesitate to call.