How to Incorporate More Walking into Your Day
They say that the new killer is the sitting body. We sit at our desks while we are on the computer, we sit in the car, bus or train as we head to and from work, we sit to eat, we sit to watch TV or check our phones- we sit a lot! And all of this sitting means tight muscles, poor posture, higher BMIs and less walking! So how do we combat the amount of sitting we do? By adding more steps to our day!
Incorporating more steps into your day can be quite easy and sometimes takes thinking outside the box. But not to worry, we’ve complied a list of ideas to help you get started!
- Wear comfortable shoes- if they don’t feel good, you’re not going to get far
- Walk your dog- exercised dogs are happier well-behaved dogs and make great walking partners
- Walk on your lunch break- allows for a chance to get the blood flowing for better productivity
- Drink plenty of water- keep a filled water bottle on hand at all times
- Take the stairs- if stairs are an option- take them. They are great for your leg and butt muscles too!
- Park farther away
- Try walking rather than driving if the destination is less than 2 miles away- saves gas too!
- Turn on a walking video on rainy or cold days
- Walk while you are talking on the phone
- Stand while the kids are playing
- Be efficient- try to figure out how you could incorporate walking into your day, even if it is only a few additional steps.
If you need tips on ways to stay motivated, check out our motivational blog. Happy walking 😊