A Stubbed toe is one of the most common foot injuries for adults and children. It generally happens when one is walking barefoot and collides into a piece of furniture. It can be one of the most excruciating pain you will experience in your life. They happen when you least expect it. Most stubbed toes do not result in serious injury, walking it off can take the pain away; but some can result in a fracture.
How to tell if a toe is broken:
- Pain that persists for more than a couple of hours
- When pressure is applied to the toe pain returns
- Bruising and swelling for several days
- Abnormal appearance of the toe
- Toe looks bent or out of place
Seek medical attention if you suspect you have a fracture in your toe especially if there is bleeding; cold, numb or tingling sensation; or if your toe is deformed or bent.