5 Tips to Prevent Discolored Nails
We’ve all had them at one point in time- discolored nails, but how do we prevent it from happening?
Here are 5 easy tips to help you prevent your nails from turning yellow:
- Apply a base coat to your nail to act as a barrier between your nail and the colored polish.
- Use a non-acetone polish remover when removing polish. Traditional acetone can exacerbate yellowing.
- Avoid nicotine. Don’t want to stop smoking? Consider switching to a cigarette holder or a vaporizer.
- Keep your nails clean and dry to prevent toenail fungus (which yellow brittle nails is a common symptom of).
- Let’em breathe! If you enjoy painting your nails often, try giving your nails a break occasionally. Traditional polish tends to suck up moisture from our nails causing them to become brittle. If you must paint often, consider using a polish that helps keep moisture in the nail and provides nutrients, like Dr.’s Remedy polishes*.
If you are unable to prevent or treat your yellowed nails, contact your doctor or podiatrist immediately. Yellowing of the nail could be the sign of a nail fungal infection or more serious health condition. If you are experiencing yellow, dry, brittle toenails, call Dr. Hollander’s office today for an appointment at (707) 578-1222.
*Available for purchase in our office.